[NRVR-Members] Meeting with NRVR

Thomas (Tweeks) Weeks tweeks at rackspace.com
Mon Dec 7 13:44:55 CST 2015

[CCing the nrvr-members mail list so this will be archived]

Wow.. if large autonomous roverer/rocket design is going to be at the meeting, that would rock! (but also really suck bc I'm going to miss the meeting. I'm a huge arduino geek and would LOVE to see an autonomous arduino-rover pop out of a big bird! [😊]  ) Here's one of my little arduino bots I was thinking about popping out of my next big rocket (currently seeking a nice big fat rocket for this):

[cid:b4102d3e-05f8-4cd3-95a0-84bc6ea33326]

I'm eager to hear what Bob has to say about 1inch standoffs, but I've done some 3/4" standoffs for rail buttons on one of my fat-nose rocket designs. It can be done very robustly if you do it right.

But you're rocket is going to be pretty heavy it sounds.. so before showing how it should be done there's a common way you should probably AVOID doing it.  Below is the common way to make rail-botton standoffs for smaller/lighter large nose rockets (which you probably want to avoid):

[https://www.apogeerockets.com/images/apogee_products/Rail_Button_with-standoff.gif]

It looks nice, but taking that design out to 1" would give you too much button torque on a large heavy bird. Plus the screw/epoxy nipple inside your BT (body tube) will create a snag point for any recovery gear/chutes. But the torque from the 1inch of clearance is the real problem with a rocket as heavy as yours.

Instead, here's a graphical view of how I did it (on this smaller 2.6" rocket design) using streamlined basswood blocks and T-nuts creating a much wider "hugging footprint" to the standoff (VERY solid):

[cid:6c8e1aa4-7eb2-49c6-b1d8-71e004b4c7de]

http://theweeks.org/rockets/HONEST-JOHN/NOSECONE/dscf0107.jpg

The block is sanded to fit the tube by simply putting the sandpaper (rough side up) and sanding the button-block directly against the BT.. creating a perfect fit to hug your BT and give you a solid anchor.

This design yields MUCH more lateral rocking resistance (than a simple, columnar plastic standoff).  If interested, I have some more pics of this design at home I can put on my webserver tonight.. I did a longer 3inch block standoff like this that will give you room for both outward and inward facing T-nuts. Tricky getting it all screwed down without any snag-points, but VERY solid, and you end up with nuts and bolts anchoring the button base to the BT, (not just some epoxy or a 1inch plastic cylinder).

For an even more solid anchor, you could also go with a larger triangular block base with three outward facing threads (t-nut style) with flush-nut-head inside and screw bolts from the outside with an internal re-inforcing ring (fiberglass or aluminum ring) that the internal flush-nut mount the block to to give it a super solid mount point.  Email me off list and I'll get you the other design photos.

Also..
If this is your first HP rocket.. I would recommend comparing deisng notes by the experienced experts in the nrvr.org mail list (CCd).  If you're not a member, students can join for free here http://nrvr.org/membership/.

However, to beef up on HP rocket design best practices I recommend picking up a copy of this excellent HP rocket design book that has decades of big-rocket design wisdom:
http://www.amazon.com//dp/1412058104

Any of you other guys have feedback?

Bob? You done any heavy rocket button standoffs?

Tweeks
p.s. Fareez.. with a rocket this big/heavy.. you ARE using the larger 1515 buttons right? http://aeroconsystems.com/cart/launch-and-recovery-accessories/rail-button-8020-style-1515-pair/  (unless Bob recommends something beefier)