[NRVR-Members] L3 Build Techniques

Thomas Tweeks Weeks tom at theweeks.org
Sat Nov 26 00:14:48 CST 2016

Hey all..

So I'm finally going L3... (partially thanks to Black Friday). I'll leave what I'm building a surprise.. All I'll say it that I chose a 75mmt kit that will let me cert L3, but also adapt down to 54mm and fly this bird at our monthly launches too.

That aside, I did want to get some of your (current L3s) suggestions and lessons learned from your L3 builds (and other large project).

There's one interesting TRA guy I've been following on Fbook who's got some pretty cool fincan construction and build ideas.. thought some of you might want to check them out and comment. I'm all ears on your big suggestions and lessons learned. Check it out:
[ http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?131007-Level-3-Build-Rocketry-Warehouse-Terminator/page2&s=6803a5849819c8603a81a48356c32a73 ]( http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?131007-Level-3-Build-Rocketry-Warehouse-Terminator/page2&s=6803a5849819c8603a81a48356c32a73 )

He uses an interesting three thread-stock rods to pass the recovery forces down through the forward centring ring down to the lower CR too (or thrust plate if you have one). Pretty cool.

But if you look at his pictures, he also perforates his forward CR a total of five times.. something that makes me nervous. Especially all the force on just one side of the MMT's CR. Seems more risky.

I was actually thinking about doing something similar but using a two super long thread-stock rods and U-bending them form U bolts (four rods) that run the length of the entire MMT.

See crude diagram:
[ http://theweeks.org/rockets/PICS/L3-MMT-rods.png ]( http://theweeks.org/rockets/PICS/L3-MMT-rods.png )

Thoughts? Ideas?

Tweeks