[NRVR-Members] L3 Build Techniques

Peter Cadra pcadra at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 26 17:13:07 CST 2016

Threaded rods have practical use but are not the end all. As Bob wrote, use top shelf epoxy like West Systems and prep the surfaces for a good grab. I have been using extra pieces of coupler  rings with excellent success for smaller builds, but in my BFR and other L3 builds, I use a long double coupler from the top centering ring with 1.5x the airframe diameter exposed from the top of the booster airframe. You can secure the coupler a bit more with screws if so desired.
Make us proud!
Peter

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 8:25 AM, Bob Schoner<bob.schoner at gmail.com> wrote:   I am not a fan of using threaded rods through centering rings. Unnecessary extra weight and questionable added value. I have never seen a rocket fail in a way that threaded rods would have helped. Proper surface prep with 40 grit sand paper, good epoxy (not 5 minute hobby store stuff) is more than enough. If you want more centering ring security at the top glue a 3" section of coupler and fiberglass it to the recovery centering ring.

If the right materials and techniques are used I don't feel TR adds anything but extra weight. That is just one opinion. Let's hear some more.

Bob

Congrats on your Black Friday score!