[NRVR-Members] Motors and Certifying

Adrien Drouault adrien.drouault at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 12:49:13 CDT 2018

 Apologies if this gets sent twice, but I think I sent it to the wrong
e-mail address the first time...
----

Hi all.  Some questions ...

Will we have a vendor on-site for the summer two-day launch?  Or, do we
plan another group buy before then?

As I understand it, I can buy exactly one "H" or "I" motor before achieving
my L1, if it's intended to be used for the cert attempt; is that correct?

Beyond that, what's the actual process?  I know there's a written test for
L2, but do I need to officially sign someone up to be my mentor, or do any
other legwork before L1?  (I have, and have read, *Modern HP Rocketry 2*,
as well as the new *Make: High Power Rockets* books, but I still always
have dumb questions when it comes to procedures...)

I'm currently leaning towards the Madcow Torrent; I don't love that it's
exclusive to Apogee, but I like that it's "all-in-one" and capable of
handling L2 motors and dual deploy as well.

My general thinking:

   - Bigger (diameter) is better; more room to work in the fuselage
   - Also, heavier, with the same motor, slower and lower; less chance of
   shred or loss to wind
   - Don't mess with dual deploy on the cert flight (less to go wrong)

Thanks; I appreciate the thoughts and guidance
Adrien

Looking forward to tomorrow; see you all there ...
:-)

--
--
*Quid quid latine dictum sit altum viditar.*