[NRVR-Members] Anyone Ever Use RCS Motors?

Maier.chris maier.chris at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 17:15:12 CDT 2018

TWeeks,

I think the Aerotech hardware & reloads have all been tested and are NAR approved true commercial reloads.  The RCS components at one point may or may not have been as completely tested as the Aerotech stuff and was therefore “experimental”.  Not sure if that’s still true these days.

Most experimental motors work just fine in the Aerotech or RCS hardware that is 75/76 mm and smaller - as long as you get a casting set & liner that fit the hardware properly....  At 98mm and above, I buy quality aluminum tube and have it machined myself.  I have a lathe that I can build closures and graphite nozzles on.  This typically leaves me with a tube that isn’t anodized, which is actually sub optimal - I need to set up an anodizing rig.  Building your own tubes isn’t “better”, I do it simply because it can be more cost effective since I’m not getting “DOM” material (drawn over mandrel). DOM is horridly expensive and there are minimum quantities that no single user would be able to afford or use if it’s not a stocked dimension.  If a supplier has some left over DOM material, or it’s a dimension they stock, it’s 1.5x or more the price of plain tube.  But plain tube isn’t as round and wall thickness varies significantly more than DOM.  I was REALLY bummed out when tru-core quit making cases.  Loki is a great alternative, just slightly more expensive.

Rocket motors, much like the camera “Cannon vs Nikon” debate (non professional photography) really boils down to - what do your friends and family have so you can borrow things.  Rocket motor hardware, IMHO, works similarly - buy what the majority of your friends have so you can borrow, trade, and sell parts and reloads with each other.  Or if you are doing Ex motor casting with your friends, you don’t have to worry about confusing liners and casting tubes that are incompatible with one another (Loki vs gorilla vs Aerotech etc).  We have mixing parties here, and four or five guys will show up.  So not having to run specific batches and not have to pay super close attention to the liners etc is beneficial to us.

Last but not least, if you are doing Ex motor mixing, just like your ejection charges, you should be testing your motors - at least a representative diameter in order to validate your pressure assumptions, burn rates, and all that Jazz.  Only then will you know if you actually have a “super aggressive” motor and then you can make alternative hardware selections if necessary.

Chris