[NRVR-Members] propellent making class

David Bloom dwskb at att.net
Mon Sep 10 08:05:52 CDT 2018

Count me in according to football schedule   Bloom

 Subject: [NRVR-Members] propellent making class
 To: nrvr-members at nrvr.org
 Date: Saturday, September 8, 2018, 4:54 PM

 NRVR
 members,
 talked to Ben and Elaine Russell (Gainesville, VA) about
 offering their "Introduction to Propellant
 Making” class here in Blacksburg.
   The class covers the following
 topics:How to safely handle and store
 chemicals and propellantsWhat’s needed to get startedClothing, gloves etc.ChemicalsMixersCasting sets – mandrels and
 capsLiner / casting
 tubesMotor hardwareVacuum systemsProcess of mixing and packing AP based
 propellants. The student mixes and packs their own 54mm
 reload.Overview of Burnsim –motor design and
 simulation programYou'll leave the class
 with
 A 3 grain 54mm J class reload which
 you mixed and packed.  The reload can be flown at an
 experimental launch by those with Level-2
 certification.A 3-ring binder containing all the
 class materials and discount couponsTru-Core 54 mm 3 grain casting set
 which includes a 5/8” x 14” AL mandrel and casting caps.
 Packing stick included.Tuition is $325 per
 student.   I am thinking of holding the class jointly
 for a small group of NRVR members and VT students on a
 Saturday sometime this fall.
 Would you take this course given the
 $325 tuition?    I would like to get an idea of
 the general level of interest among NRVR members before
 reaching out to our students.
 Eric