[NRVR-Members] On GMail and Unwanted E-Mails

Weeks, Thomas t.weeks at vt.edu
Thu Jan 24 10:01:43 CST 2019

As would I.

However.. one thing that would DEFINITELY cause spam actions to be taken.. my forward and reverse DNS entries for the host name did not match (due to an old/expired domain). I fixed that a week ago after this was brought up:

$ host 98.129.251.91

91.251.129.98.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer server2.xcssa.pw.

$ host server2.xcssa.pw

server2.xcssa.pw is an alias for xcssa.pw.

xcssa.pw has address 98.129.251.91

which is now correct.

FYI.. Traditionally.. if your MTA (mail server) server's DNS "A" record and PTR record (reverse IP to name) do not match.. many MTAs will auto filter (or drop session) on such emails.

Let me know if anyone sees an NRVR email get filtered.. and if so.. send me (and Adrian it sounds like :) a copy of the full email (with headers intact).

:)

T.Weeks, The "IT Geek"