[NRVR-Members] Fwd: shear pin calculator

tweeks-pop at theweeks.org tweeks-pop at theweeks.org
Fri Jul 17 16:08:22 CDT 2015

I don't know why, but I never liked using nylong screws. Although I know a number of our members od, so I just put that PDF on the webserver in the files repository here:
	http://nrvr.org/files/Shear_Pin.pdf

I just preferred the simple/cheaper styrene rods... in my case, I used the known force/diameter calculations and used the cheap square shared styrene rods from any hobby store.

Here's a good review that will cover use with either screws or rods:
http://rocketsnw.com/?page_id=666

I also don't like plastic/nosecone sheering against phenolic tubes (even reenforced with epoxy or CA).  A longer term, higher reliability is a metal to metal shearing surface like brass or steel sheeting. Here's the guide I used to create my brass-to-brass shear plates on my talon years ago, and the system I still use now:
http://rocketry.tungstentech.com/tutorials/shearpins/default.aspx

Tweeks