[NRVR-Members] Messing with Video

Adrien Drouault adrien.drouault at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 10:25:38 CDT 2018

I'm certainly happy to share more as I learn more.  I was wandering around
the Intertubes looking for methods to stream the instrumentation directly
to the recording, and someone pointed me at Dashware.

Basically, in your Dashware project, you specify the video file to use and
the data file to use, then you put your gauges onto the video, and connect
them to their inputs.  It has a good gauge library built in, and gauges can
be created from scratch, modified, shared between installations, etc.  For
example, the acceleration meter in the upper left corner is something I
bodged together from a speed display; all of the built-in "G meter"
displays are more geared towards wheeled vehicles.  (And, I still have some
work to do on this one).

It does have limitations; purely as a video editor, it's very basic.  As
mentioned, precise synchronization is tough.  I'm still trying to figure
out a workflow between regular video editing software and Dashware, but,
overall, I think it'll be pretty powerful.

It is Windows only, apparently, but it's free (as in beer), and hugely
customizeable.  It has a ton of data formats built-in, and setting up a new
mapping is very straightforward, so anything that has a "time" column and
can be put into a CSV  can be overlaid on the video.

The website is dashware.net.  Of course, since I just learned about it
yesterday, and did what I did in a few hours last night, if anyone else has
more experience (with video editing in general, or Dashware in particular),
I'm open to suggestions.

--

*Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.*