[NRVR-Members] Updates On Summer Launches (canceled)

Weeks, Thomas t.weeks at vt.edu
Wed Jul 7 23:34:53 CDT 2021

Update on Launches:
The use of the Kentland field for rocketry launches is currently under review by the University. As such, all summer launches are currently canceled. We are working with the University on a full safety review of maximum rocket size/mass, impulse, and altitude limits, as well as safe distances and potential landing zones given the new dairy farm's proximity. We will let everyone know once this review is completed and the new standards are set.

Due to the uncertainty of the timeline for the review, our BFSL (summer launch) and all other currently scheduled launches are canceled.  We have been in communication with several other clubs in VA and the surrounding region, and are being invited out to their ongoing launches at VAST, SERVA, Tripoli NC, etc.  We will keep the club updated on upcoming Remote-Launch opportunities (both here and on our calendar), as to get some stuff into the sky!

Regarding upcoming regional launches, I hear a few members are attending the VAST Launch this Saturday. Someone who’s going please post a thread in the members mail list to coordinate.  If you want to fly, please contact their Prefect Chuck Neff<mailto:chuckneff67 at gmail.com> for more information and requirements to fly their field. Here’s their event listing<https://www.facebook.com/groups/valleyaerospace/posts/6287891331237142/> on their facebook page.

Other Summer Activities:
Other summer activities we are discussing are in person meetings to:

  *   meet to discuss any related questions (discuss finding other suitable fields)

  *   have a fun meeting for technical presentations, plan regional launch road trips

  *   hold our in person (COVID-postponed) soldering party
 (for working on the various NewEgg and electronic kits we got over the last winter season).

Hang in there folks. Status updates will be posted on the members list and facebook. Any general or planning questions can be posted here on the mail list. Any detail-oriented questions should be directed to officers at nrvr.org<mailto:officers at nrvr.org> .

NRVR Officers
officers(at)nrvr.org